What to do in Waihi & Waihi Beach
The Waihi Region has a lot to offer it's visitors and is a great place to enjoy New Zealand's great outdoors. From stunning coastal regions, white sand beaches, beautiful bush, to learning about the history and heritage of the area, there is something for everyone to enjoy!
- Visit Martha Mine to see a fully functional open cast gold mine in action!
- Wander one of Waihi's many walkways
- Explore Waihi's golden history: museums, historic sites & trails
- Spend your summer at beautiful Waihi Beach
- Visit Waihi's Art Market to find your own nugget of treasure
The coastal township of Waihi Beach is approximately 10km east of Waihi. Waihi Beach has a range of services available for visitors, including a modern shopping centre, excellent restaurants and plenty of accommodation for everyone. There are a range of activities to suit everyone's needs, whether its boating, fishing, swimming, kayaking, going on a picnic, a picturesque bush walk, a stunning coastal walk, or checking out the local arts and crafts.
Waihi and Kaikati are just a 15-20 minute drive away, and Tauranga is less than an hours' drive away as well. Explore Anzac Bay, a popular reserve, head to Athenree, which hosts a pool complex including open-air hot pools, a milder pool for swimmers and a soak pool. The beautiful Karangahake Gorge is also just a 20 minute drive from Waihi Beach.