Aoraki Mount Cook National Park
New Zealand’s premiere alpine park, Aoraki Mount Cook National Park is where you will discover the highest mountains, largest glaciers and most breathtaking alpine scenery. Part of the Southwest New Zealand World Heritage Area, the park is a significant ecological location.
With over 40% of the park comprised of glaciers, Aoraki Mount Cook National Park is one of New Zealand’s most unforgiving national parks. Nineteen of Mt Cook National Park's peaks exceed 3000 metres, with New Zealand’s highest peak – Aoraki Mount Cook – the most stunning.
Getting to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
A scenic 40-minute drive along SH80, from the head of Lake Pukaki, brings you to Aoraki Mount Cook Village and Aoraki Mt Cook National Park.
Regular bus services run to Aoraki Mount Cook Village from Christchurch, Queenstown, Twizel and Lake Tekapo.
Accommodation in Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
Accommodation is available in Aoraki Mount Cook Village, ranging from high-end hotels to camping.
17 back-country huts are located within the park on mountaineering routes (for experienced climbers only).
Activities in Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
- Short walks or day walks. Ask at the local information centre or DOC office for maps and track conditions before you set off.
- Heli-Skiing is available for intermediate to advanced skiers.
- Guided ski tours, taking in the Tasman Glacier.
- Mountaineering for experienced climbers. Aoraki Mount Cook is one of the most unforgiving mountains in the world and should only be attempted by advanced mountain climbers.
- Scenic flights and flightseeing: view this stunning park from the air!
Aoraki Mt Cook Climate
- Alpine moderated, summers are hot and winters extremely cold.
- Avalanches occur in the winter when heavy snowfalls occur.
- Warm clothing, sunscreen, rain gear, hats and gloves are necessary for all visitors throughout the year.
- Appropriate mountaineering clothing is necessary, as well as boots and specialised equipment when climbing in the park.
Aoraki Mt Cook National Park Visitor Centre
1 Larch Grove
Aoraki Mt Cook Village
Ph: +64 3 435 1186